termination of parental rights

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Family Law termination of parental rights

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • #1953

      My daughter's biological father has never been in her life.  He pays child support because it has been mandated by the state since she was an infant because she had a medical card at that time.  My husband has always been her Dad and wants to adopt her.  My question is, can I get a legal document drawn up by an attorney that I can have him sign and then file with the courts to terminate his rights?  Or is this something that has to be done in front of a judge with him present.  We currently live over 800 miles apart from her biological father.Thanks in advance.

    • #2325

      About the only way to terminate the biological father's rights is if he hasn't been paying court-ordered support.He would have to agree to an adoption. That might be something he would be willing to do since he could then stop paying support.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.