Selling items to pawn shop and signing receipt that you own!

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Family Law Selling items to pawn shop and signing receipt that you own!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      kiterunner62
      Participant

Sellling items that you stole to pawn shop:  WHen a person sells items to a pawn shop on the bottom you have to sign that: I certify that the above listed materials/items is/are my own property and is free and clear of all liens.I hereby sell and release the above listed property to (name of pawn shop or buyer's shop and name) for the above amount.so, if the seller does this and it's not the truth.. would this carry some sort of an offense or a ruling against the seller?thanks.

Lex
      Participant

Pawn shops have to hold goods for a minimum period and have to provide local law enforcement lists of the goods that are recently pawned. So, it isn't a case of getting in trouble for signing the form, it's a case of getting arrested for theft, burglary and/or receiving stolen goods if your goods turns up on the list of stolen items local law enforcement has.As for liens, explain further what you mean by "a ruling against the seller". Are you talking about a divorce or community property issue not a theft issue?

kiterunner62
      Participant

No, I'm not talking about divorce.  Items were stolen from my house and have the criminal trial coming up.  I also filed a civil suit.  but on the receipts of the items he sold to thegold and silver places that are "not pawn shops" he had  to sign that he certified that he owned the items and that they were free and clear of any liens, etc.This is fact, was not the truth.  (so, he would have been making false claims) that he owned when he did not.)

Lex
      Participant

False claims, unless under oath or some other law applies, are not criminal offenses.On the civil side, they would help establish fraud -but in the case you describe that would not be necessary.The purpose of the gold and silver dealers having someone sign would likely be for their benefit -a cover our rear-end sort of thing.

richard johnson
      Participant

Pawn shops have to hold goods for a minimum period and have to provide local law enforcement lists of the goods that are recently pawned. So, it isn't a case of getting in trouble for signing the form, it's a case of getting arrested for theft, burglary and/or receiving stolen goods if your goods turns up on the list of stolen items local law enforcement has.As for liens, explain further what you mean by "a ruling against the seller". Are you talking about a divorce or community property issue not a theft issue?

I agree with you. He can be charged with Theft.

3kidsmom
      Participant

An easy defense to that is to say you gave it to him. It is very hard to prove these kinds of things and get them prosecuted.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.