No on to Leave Estate Too

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Probate Law No on to Leave Estate Too


Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • #3920

      My original will left some things to my sister and some to my daughter, however my sister has disowned me and my daughters husband has turned her against me.
      I need to make a new will, but being that is all the family I have and the few people I know don’t want to become involved what are my options, if any?
      I am seriously thinking of leaving my property to an out of state dog rescue and most of my retirement to my daughter since I have to leave her something.
      Is there a way to do this? I will have no one to advise anyone that I have died, if it’s at home, but I do need someone to take care of making sure my wishes are carried out in my will.

    • #3923

      First of all, you need to be sure to name an executor who understands your situation. A friend, perhaps?

      Next, you are free to leave your estate to whomever or whatever you want. That is, of course, unless you have any forced heirs. Forced heirs are any child under age 24 or children of any age who are or who become permanently disabled.

      “since I have to leave her something” -why are you saying you have to leave her something? Is that what your retirement plan requires?

    • #3928

      I forgot the age was 24 and thought their age didn’t matter.

      I have no one to name as an executor, which I know is a problem, but that’s just the way it is. I was wondering, since I can’t be the only person alive who is totally alone, if there is anything that would cover my situation?

      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    • #3930

      You could do an olographic will leaving all to the shelter. The will would have to be entirely hand-written by you, dated, and signed at the end.

      You could also do a notarial will which is prepared by a notary or lawyer. It is a bit harder to contest.

      What sort of assets do you have? Some things can be set up to avoid the probate procedure.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.