garnishment question

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Real Estate Law garnishment question

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      kiterunner62
      Participant

I have a judgement for garnishment against a former tenant. However, i believe she already has a judgement for garnishment against her. In the interrogatories answers, the employer states that she has a prior garnishment and it would be completing in the next few months.

Question: Will my garnishment doc start when the prior garnishment is done? Will this start immediately? Or do I have
      to refile my judgement of garnishment? I have read the east baton rouge parish garnishment docs but I don’t see anyting
      about an active garnishment and a another garnishment to follow. (mine).

Can you clarify for me? Thanks.

Lex
      Keymaster

It should start when the other ends since the employer has been served. However, you might call the employer and ask them if they are planning on beginning your garnishment as soon as the other one ends.

kiterunner62
      Participant

that sir, I will do just that.]

kiterunner62
      Participant

Sir:
      I did just that. The employer said that was a mistake on her part and the employee had no garnishment in progress. So this is good. She is waiting on the Judgment of garnishment from the court.
      So, this s good. I do appreciate.

kiterunner62
      Participant

The employer said they were withdrawing funds and holding them until they received the judgement of garnishment. Where do they send the garnishment payments? Do they send to the Plaintiff? is this done hy check or how?
      I’m not sure about this.

thanks.

Lex
      Keymaster

Payments are generally sent to the plaintiff minus a fee the are allowed to charge for their expenses.

kiterunner62
      Participant

Question on garnishment payments: The garnishment documents have been served to her employer and her. We were told the funds were being take out. However, she is not at work alot. To date , we have received no payments. Can we call the employer
      and ask about this? or should i call the sheriff’s department.?
      I would hope that the garnishment document stays in place with the employer. SHe is still employed.

thanks.

Lex
      Keymaster

Yes, they should be able to discuss this with you.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.