Wife’s suicide while separated

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Family Law Wife’s suicide while separated

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bassmaster
      Participant

I have a client whose wife killed herself a few weeks ago.They had been physically separated for a short time before her death. No legal action had been started on a divorce.I doubt if she had a will. How will this impact the community and the husband?

EJC-LA
      Participant

I'm going to quote from the Notary Study Guide and you can make of it what you will:Article 880 of the Civil Code provides that the spouse must not be judicially separated from the decedent when he dies. Louisiana abolished the cause of action for separation in traditional marriages, with the practical effect that only divorce removes the spouse in a tradition marriage from the line of succession.

Lex
      Participant

I guess the important question at this point is whether there are any children.Absent children and without a will, I would say the estate of the deceased wife goes to the husband. The physical separation would be irrelevant, as EJC-LA is saying.

Bassmaster
      Participant

Thanks. I pretty much thought that was the case. I go back to the days of legal separations where the issue got very muddied.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.