Runaway Bamboo

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums General Louisiana Law Runaway Bamboo

Tagged: 

• Author

Bessie
    Participant

My neighbor planted running bamboo and its running all over my yard. What is my best option to get rid of the bamboo? Can I sue him if he doesn’t control his bamboo? Do I take him to court or try alone to handle it? I am 65 yr old woman and live alone. I would have to hire someone to do the work of getting rid of neighbors bamboo. I believe he deliberately planted it extremely close to property line. He is not a friendly person or a good neighbor.
    Thanks for your reply.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Bessie.

Gibson39501
    Participant

salt the shoots on your property

Bassmaster
    Participant

There are also nuisance ordinances in most municipalities. If you are outside any city limits, it gets more difficult.

Bessie
    Participant

I am outside city limits. Isn’t there ANYTHING that I can do. It is also growing in a questionable right of way zone on MY property.

Lex
    Keymaster

Why is the right-of-way questionable?

Is it a utility servitude? If so, and if there are underground utilities, there are things that can be done.

Bessie
    Participant

Its questionable because I gave my Dad right of way to use my property to get to his home. My Dad had dementia. Was taken advantage of and the bamboo owner name is on my Dad’s property. He does not live in my Dad’s house though. I left the way open in honor of my Dad for the ex wife who is still alive and living there. I question the bamboo owner has the right to pass through my property because he has his own drive that leads directly to my Dad’s home without using my property. It is also a servitude right of way for phone company that had underground wires. And tree trimmers, electrical etc. Bamboo are probably already interfering with some phone lines and will eventually overtake where phone service area is, where they go to work on lines when something is wrong. O wow, do I have some kind of hope.???
    Thank you.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Bessie.

Lex
    Keymaster

Contact the utility company(ies) and tell them bamboo is overgrowing their servitude and putting out roots. They will probably at least look at it.

Bessie
    Participant

Thank you so very much Lex. Sincerely appreciate that tip !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.