Rule to evict

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Real Estate Law Rule to evict

Tagged: 

• Author

kiterunner62
    Participant

I have the rule to evict and the supporting documents. I am the property manager and have the owner’s POA to conduct the business, etc. I am going to file at the court office.

WHen the hearing comes up to appear in court, do I need an attorney with me?

Lex
    Keymaster

What court?

Bassmaster
    Participant

Lex is asking what court because there is Justice of the Peace Court, City Court, District Court, Parish Civil Court (in some areas), and so on. It makes a difference on how strict the procedures are.

kiterunner62
    Participant

the court is east baton rouge parish…

thanks.

Bassmaster
    Participant

In general terms, the procedures in a District Court are stricter. So, yes, it would be a good idea to at least consult a lawyer to review what you have filed and to go over with you what to expect.

It also makes a difference as to whether you think the defendant is going to appear and/or contest the eviction. There are strict procedures as to how a defendant must handle his part of this as well -something to discuss with a lawyer that you make familiar with your fact situation.

For future reference, most evictions are handled through justice of the peace courts because: it is much faster; it is much cheaper; and it is expected than no lawyers are involved. JP courts give you more leniency as to procedural rules and something closer to instant justice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.