Reimbursement for Admin

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Probate Law Reimbursement for Admin

• Author

Flaco
    Participant

When my father passed away, I personally paid the atty fees, and I was appointed independent administrator to handle the affairs of my father’s succession ( no on else in my family would step up). The only asset was a bank account which was turned over to the state and now sits in La unclaimed property. The Judgement of Possession is now complete and I can apply to have this money released to the heirs. My question is how do I claim reimbursement for the atty fees that came out of my pocket?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Flaco.

Flaco
    Participant

To clarify, La unclaimed property requires the SS and DL of all heirs, so that they can issue checks. If done this way, I am out for the expenses of atty fees.

Lex
    Keymaster

If the only asset is a bank account that was turned over to the LA Treasurer’s office, then why was a succession done? Did they request it?

PS: what was the total value of the estate?

Flaco
    Participant

Hi Lex, The house was foreclosed, vehicles were returned to financiers, so the only thing remaining was his back account of $7k. Total value? Heirs consisted of Myself, my sister, and my deceased brother; who had 3 children also listed as heirs.

Lex
    Keymaster

So, there was a will?

Flaco
    Participant

No sir, no will.

Flaco
    Participant

After paying the atty fee and being assigned admin, I called his bank to request that funds be wired to my bank. The bank manager told me of the documents I needed to provide to her to proceed. Within a week, I called the bank manager back with one lingering question and was told that she had turned the account over to the state.

Lex
    Keymaster

One thought that comes to mind is to get all the heirs to agree to re-pay you pro-rata from the proceeds. It is an exceptionally small amount of money in the scheme of things -so you would not think that would be a problem for them.

It is too bad that a succession had to be started before it was known what the bank was going to do.

I hate to bring this up at this time, but a succession was never necessary. A Small Succession Affidavit could have been done which would have required the bank to turn over the account to the heirs. That can even be done without a lawyer and the courts are not involved.

And also, an administrator is entitled by law to a 2.5% fee and can ask for more.

Flaco
    Participant

Thanks Lex, It is a small amount and I’m just wanting to be reimbursed for cover the attorney expense. Nothing more.

Lex
    Keymaster

For those searching on the topic of Small Succession, it is:

An estate with a gross value of $75,000 or less with no will. It can even include real estate.

If all the heirs agree, a one-page affidavit can be prepared and no court gets involved.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.