Regarding "Cost for final decree" post

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Family Law Regarding "Cost for final decree" post

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      summer59
      Participant

I posted the below on Mar 2.  Am posting a copy/paste of it here in hopes to get a response as maybe it was so far down the line it might not have been read.Thank you kindly.  SummerLex, thank you for all your help.  The court date is set for March 23rd.  I plan on going just to make sure all goes well and I'm divorced. I do have a question though...if all goes as planned and the divorce is granted (no reason for it not to but...), will I be able to get a copy of the divorce the same day?  I live a distance from the court and would like to have a copy without having to return to the court house.  I'd rather go shopping!  Or better yet...celebrate!!! 🙂Thanks again!Blessings,Sum

Lex
      Participant

The written Judgment is prepared by the lawyer. Now, generally the lawyer is prepared and has a copy of the judgment at the hearing to be signed by the judge. Then the lawyer can get certified copies the same day.In some cases the lawyer is not that well prepared and submits the judgment later. The "Judgment" is a written version of the judge's judgment rendered orally in the courtroom which becomes a minute entry. So, the divorce is granted at that moment, but there may or may not be a written judgment signed on the same day.Confusing, I know. The short answer is that there may not be something you can hold in your hand right away. I've know lawyers to not get around to taking care of business for several days -even weeks, after the hearing. Most of the time it is done the same day.You can request a copy of the judgment be sent to you by the Clerk, which the lawyer should do -but again, that is not entirely a dependable thing. Try calling the Clerk of Court to see if they can put a notice in the record that you want a copy. You could also go to the Clerk's office a few days after the hearing and look at the file. If the signed judgment is there, you ask they to make a certified copy.

summer59
      Participant

Yep, a bit confusing but I do get the gist!  It may or may not be ready. Thanks so much for all the help you've been kind enough to provide.Best, Sum

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.