Filing a Testate Succession

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums News, tips and support for our book. Filing a Testate Succession

• Author

kenspia52
    Participant

In a word, HOW? I’ve googled and called and looked all over for the forms needed to file a succession for my father’s estate. There is a very simple, legal will but not much help out there. I was told just the filing fee was $395 which is more than the estate has! Can someone point me in the direction of the proper forms for filing a testate unsupervised will please? The only hang up is he house my father lived in, which was deeded to both of us with rights of survivorship. There’s no real value because the mortgage is only 18 months old. There’s a camp he sold last year as a rent to own lease and there’s still money owed on THAT property too. That’s the only immovables. He had just bought a car with a car note that was brand new and as executor I gave that to my brother with the stipulation he take over payments. I tried to contact a lawyer but the email promptly got returned. I’m 64, inexperienced and at wits end. Any advice would be appreciated.

Valerie Jagneaux (great book by the way. I’ve used it several times)

Lex
    Keymaster

Was your father living in Louisiana when he died? The reason I ask is that LA does not recognize rights of survivorship for real estate.

Anyway, there are no particular forms. It is just something lawyers learn how to do and make their own forms. Perhaps you could look at a couple of probate files and get some ideas on what needs to be filed. The files are public records and you can view them at the clerk of court.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.