Contempt of Court

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums General Louisiana Law Contempt of Court

• Author

mark02
    Participant

I would like to know if there is any way I can pay a traffic violation fine (Follow too Close) and any other fees by mail. I was told over the telephone that I have to appear in Court because my money order was received after the Court date. I live in Texas and it would be very expensive for me to travel to Louisiana.

I had a choice of mailing a money order to the Monroe City Court or appearing in person on the Court date of Feb. 15, 2017.

I was unable to mail the $187.50 money order to the Court in time to meet the February 15, 2017 deadline because of an unexpected February 1, 2017 leg surgery. I was planning to mail the money order to the Court on February 1, 2017 to pay the fine, but I was unable to do so because I was recovering from an unexpected leg surgery that occurred at 5 a.m. that day.

It was impossible for me to mail the money order to the Court in time for them to receive it by February 15 because I was in terrible shape after the February 10 hospital discharge. I could not drive and the doctor’s orders were for bed rest except to make food, use the bathroom, etc. I am still receiving wound care for the surgical wound that resulted from the surgery.

I mailed the money order to the Court in early March, but they returned mailed it back to me because it was received after the Court date of Feb. 15.

I have already mailed copies of my credit card statement showing the various taxi cab and medical charges after the Feb. 10, 2017 discharge to the Court and the three judges.

My current health insurance coverage provided by Ambetter (an Exchange plan that does cover preexisting conditions) does not provide any coverage outside of Austin TX.

Lex
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, unless a sympathetic ear is found and if you cannot appear personally, then you would need to hire a lawyer to appear for you. It is probably too late now, but a lawyer might have been able to change this to a non-moving violation which would not go on your insurance record. Do you know anyone in Monroe?

mark02
    Participant

The City Prosecutor’s Office did change it to a non-moving violation. I received an email on 1-31-2017 from the City Prosecutor’s Office notifying me about the change and I then obtained a money order to pay the fine on Jan 31. I was unable to mail it to the Court on 2-01-2017 because I was recovering from unexpected leg surgery that took place at 5 a.m. on 2-01-2017. i went to the ER on the night of 1-31 with severe leg pain.

I mailed the money order to the Court in early March, but they mailed it back to me because it was received after the Court date of Feb. 15.

No new court date has been set. I am supposed to call a court employee after my wound care has been completed to set a new court date.

No. I don’t know anyone in Monroe. I was just driving through Monroe on my way to Texas.

The court employee indicated that I would have to pay a contempt of court fine. Can’t a judge waive that because I was unable to pay the fine because of a medical problem?

Lex
    Keymaster

Yes. The judge has complete discretion as to contempt issues.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.