Civil Code on Falling trees

You are here: Louisiana Law Forums Louisiana Real Estate Law Civil Code on Falling trees

• Author

kiterunner62
    Participant

I know there is a Civil Code having to do with trees falling in a neighbor’s yard and who’s responsibility it is to pay for the removal. I had a large oak that fell , mostly large limbs that fell over into the neighbor’s yard. Who is responsible for this?
    I asked them to send me a picture. In the past when this has happened, being neighbors, we usually split the cost. These folks are new and I am not sure how to handle this. The fence isn’t damaged.

what is the civil code or statute?
    I would like advice on how to handle this properly.
    thanks.
    \

kiterunner62
    Participant

sIRS:
    i AM REPLYING, WOULD APPRECIATE SOME INPUT.

Lex
    Keymaster

Generally a falling tree is considered an act of God and nobody’s fault.

A large exception is if the tree is defective in some way (rotted, for example) where the owner knew or should of known there could be a problem.

kiterunner62
    Participant

thanks. we got it done… a next door neighbor bought a couple of his friends and they cut the tree, it was actually several large limbs and brought to the front of the yard for pick up.

The neighbors were happy campers, it was their first tree fall. I have lost 26 trees off my property. Also the lady apologized for being so stressed out.

thanks.

JosephWells
    Participant

Hello there! Generally a falling tree is considered as an act of god and I think nobody is responsible for it. This similar situation happens with my friend, few days back, where his neighbor’s tree fallen on his property and causes roof damage. For repairing the damage he has filed a claim by taking help from public adjuster from this website*** as roof damage covers under home insurance policy.

***spam link removed by Webmaster

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.